Tuesday 3 November 2009

Installing ubuntu 9.10

Well, I took the plunge. The "upgrade" from 9.04 64 bit to 9.10 64 bit had left my machine in a bit of a mess. Lotus Notes 8.5.1 had issues, RAD 7.5 would not start correctly and IBM Portal 6.1.0.2 gave horrible errors starting.
So, I decided to try a "fresh" installation of ubuntu 9.10.
Initially I tried a 64 bit install which went OK but installing Google Gears was problematic and I know that Notes would be difficult again (and RAD and Portal) so I thought it would be best to install the 32 bit version.
Now, the only reason I wanted to install the 64 bit version of the software was to take advantage of my 4GB memory in my laptop but more on that later.
So I reinstalled the entire system on another hard disk I had. Imagine my surprise when, after the installation, I checked the System Monitor and saw this:


Hope you can see this: It says 3.9 GiB!

Well, I am not sure how this works but the bottom line is that I am quite happy with my 32 bit installation from here on in..

No comments:

Post a Comment